Wednesday, March 11, 2009

AdAge Power150 Blog Ranking - "The name isn't STRICTLY accurate..." OR IS IT FALSE?!


So when I first came across the Power150 and saw a blog that claimed to be ranked #197 I was amused. Power150 and ranked #197

But now, even the blogs are having to disclaim the title. The Power150, is really the Power-More-Than-500, but that wouldn't have sounded very good. Here's more:

 

oh, so it's more than 500 then?

 

Seems kinda messed up to me. If it's your top 10 books of all-time and you list 50, well you didn't stay with the program now did you? So Power150 sounds pretty good, yep, Top 150 in my field, but wait... I'm a Top 150 ranked #487? Seems to me they are squeezing in a few more "top" performers to broaden their "reach" perhaps. Oh, and of course they don't have to abide by the rules, they created them. But can you at least admit it is a scam? It's the Power500-Or-So! So call it that.

Somebody else has to think this is bonk! Where in the review process did someone say, "Oh heck, we can't limit the POWER150 to 150!" And everyone else in the room nodded, "Yep, yep, good idea, why not? Sounds good to me." Where did this conversation take place? And how often does it take place in advertising meetings today? And how many people in the meeting, when the question was asked, said nothing. Or worse, agreed. It makes me laugh, but somewhere it makes me mad too. Because it's not honest. I guess that's why I'm venting. Gosh! If the name "isn't strictly accurate," then what is it? Or how do we make it STRICTLY ACCURATE?

Or Power More-Than-500-Or-So

It could be worse. They could just take the rank off the badge all together and we could all be Power150 Bloggers. wOOt!

Now we don't care how many we give out!

 

@jmacofearth
permalink: http://bit.ly/AdAge-500-or-so

Posted via web from jmacofearth's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment