Friday, May 1, 2009

A new Facebook Phishing Scam - FBStarter.com - Where's Boris?


This is my story about the FBSTARTER.COM scam on Facebook, from 10:30am Thursday, April 30. So it started with an innocuous email from a recent "friend" on Facebook.

FB scam mail


And the page, when you get there looks legit.

Looks Okay... Right?

But the code behind the page is wrong.

the code behind the page

And the POST action is odd looking.

post code

And of course they are looking for one thing.

password input

But things don't work quite like they should.

signup - page not found

And who is Boris?

whois - fbstarter.com

So I enter some bogus info to see what happens.

entering some bogus info

And I am taken to the my Facebook page, since my cookies are set to load my page. Hopefully, I didn't do something stupid and reveal my cookies to Boris. My guess is what I did was send him a @scammer.com email address with a scammmy password. BUT...

Maybe I'll go change my password just in case.

Update: I DID change my password. And just now got the following message from Facebook. reset your password

The lesson, keep alert out there folks. And don't let Boris steal hijack your Facebook account. Who knows what might happen then. Your social stream could be derailed.

@jmacofearth
permalink on uber.la: http://bit.ly/phishing-Facebook

Another version by TechCrunch Facebook Phishing Attack.

Posted via web from jmacofearth's posterous

1 comment:

  1. Please share any such information about scams at
    www.allscamsforum.com
    For everyone to benefit from. Please provide a link.

    ReplyDelete